Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Batik Stripe quilt

This is the finished batik stripe quilt that I posted a preview of last week.


Purple Batik Stripe Quilt
fabric hand-dyed and patterned by sara hopp harper
dimensions: 48 x 72"
completion date: February, 2009




I kept the quilting simple so that it would complement the stripe pattern.






Monday, February 16, 2009

Fabric on the line

I dyed this fabric for a quilt and I loved the pattern that happened when I draped it to hang it out to dry.


I've also been playing with some new patterns. I've used a lot of water-soluble resists with these new patterns, originally because the fabric would take less time to process than if I'd been using wax and I'd still be able to get a good idea about whether the pattern would work. When I hung this batch of fabric up to dry after painting thickened dye on it, I was so taken with the way the sun shone through it I had to take a few pictures.



The pattern is based on a wrought-iron design (I know it's a little hard to see here). I really like the way the water-soluble resist has some blurred edges and spottiness going on where they dye penetrated the resist a little bit. It seems more in keeping with ideas about weathering and age that I think of when I see wrought iron. I'm definitely going to work more with different kinds of
resists as I design new patterns. I love batik and shibori, but there's something about being able to breach the water-based resists (either accidentally or on purpose) that really interests me.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sneak Peek


The pieces for this quilt have lingered around on my cutting table for quite a while. A few months ago I dyed the fabric for the front, but set it aside when the fabric I dyed for the borders and the back weren't quite what I wanted.


After a brief hiatus from the studio, I dyed up the perfect coordinates for the purple stripe fabric and got down to business with putting the quilt together and finishing it. It's nearly done and looking fantastic.

I couldn't resist posting a sneak peek.


Sunday, February 8, 2009

brick set 1


I've made quite a few quilts as commissions or gifts. Somehow, I ended up not having any for myself. I have quite a stash of commercial fabrics that I rarely use since I started making my own fabric which was crying out to be used. Et voila!

This is a new set (for me) which I'm calling it brick, for now. I've been on a turquoise and orange kick lately so I pulled fabrics with those dominant colors and then tempered them with the chocolate brown.

I think this quilt looks a little scrappy, which is different for me since I'm used to making however much fabric I need for a project instead of working with what I have.

I will definitely use this set again. Next time I'm thinking a toned-down or monochromatic palette for the larger blocks and some sashing strips between the rows to make the pattern of the set itself really pop.

I kept the quilting simple since there was so much pattern going on already. Next time I will pare back the quilting even more to keep the focus on the allover pattern created by the set itself.