Monday, November 9, 2009

binding woes no more!

Recently, I posted about how much I dislike the method I've been using for applying binding to my quilts. I've been casually trying to come up with a different way for a while, but never got very far with it, and to be honest, never put that much effort into it. But my dislike has been growing stronger and stronger, and I was at the point where I needed to make a concerted effort to come up with a solution.

As is so often the case, I was making things much more complicated than they needed to be, and the answer was right in front of me the whole time.

First, I thought hand sewing would be the answer. I machine stitched the binding to the front so that I could pull it around to the back side and hand sew it. For whatever reason, I have no trouble hand sewing paper. But fabric... not so much. This was not the solution for me.

I ripped out the stitches on the back, but before I took the machine stitches out of the front, it occurred to me that I could stitch on the front of the quilt in the ditch created by the binding itself. If I was careful, I figured the stitching should be invisible from the front, or might even subtly frame the quilt.

I left the corners alone while I stitched the sides. Then I flipped the quilt to the back side, arranged the corners, and basted them in place using a long stitch. Flipping the quilt again so that the front was facing up, I shortened the stitch length and sewed the corners in the ditch as I'd sewn the sides. Once all four corners were sewn, I ripped out the basting stitches.

I'm so happy with the results. There are a few small adjustments that I want to make, but overall, my bindng woes are over!

No comments: