Monday, April 13, 2009

Swanson Stripe- Modified

I love a good stripe. Really, I can't get enough of stripes. It borders on ridiculous. So, needless to say, whenever I'm dying fabric, I usually throw in a stripe pattern somewhere.

This fabric (Swanson Stripe)


was supposed to go with this fabric (Laced).


On paper, it seemed like the colors had enough in common that they would coordinate and make a nice piece. Once I got the fabric out of the final vats...not so much. The last color (dark brownish red) is the same on both pieces, but the strong orange underneath it on the Swanson Stripe really pushes the red in a different direction from the dark brown red on the Laced piece. I tried and tried to convince myself that they would work together, but in the end I think it's best they go into separate quilts.

I dyed up a nice pink that goes well with the pink stripe in the Swanson yardage. This time around, I'm going to work on a more complex quilting pattern in the unpatterned pink section instead of using batik to pattern the fabric while I'm dying it and then following that pattern with the quilting as I've done in previous pieces.

The quilting will be based on one of my new patterns, Floris.


This is the plan for a batik stamp. I'm working with it to create a continuous line design which will be more conducive to machine quilting.

I'm really excited about this quilt. I've been wanting to use hot colors and pink in particular... I've been feeling girly lately. I think this will be fun to make and fun to look at once it's done. And who can resist a hot pink AND a good stripe. Not me!

No comments: